Fostering Educational Investments
Every child, no matter his or her background, where they are from or their social and economic status, deserves a high-quality education and a chance to reach his or her fullest potential. Not only is having a strong education important in the fight to reduce poverty, it is also a major factor for wealth creation. Cost should never be a barrier for our youth to achieve their dreams. Through education, I will ensure that every child receives the same strong start and is equip with the skills necessary to succeed in tomorrow’s economy.
Together, WE will:
- Issue Social Impact Bonds to incentivize public and private investments to offer free early start and preschool initiatives for 3 and 4-year olds in households earning at or less than the federal poverty level. Higher-income households will pay fees based on a sliding scale
- Provide adult education and parenting classes to empower families and help create more stable home environments for children to succeed
- Collaborate with the Atlanta Public School System and surrounding school systems to implement strategies targeted towards reducing dropout rates, truancy and juvenile crime.
- Expand my current College Prep Series by preparing even more middle and high school students for college
- Offer tuition-free community college to attend one of Metro-Atlanta’s eight community colleges for students who: (1) do not qualify for the Hope Scholarship, (2) qualify or receive reduced lunch, and (3) graduate from an Atlanta Public School with a 2.0 GPA or higher